Expanding to meet the clean mobility challenge (2016)
One of Umicore’s Horizon 2020 goals is to be a leader in clean mobility materials. This means keeping up with the rapid adoption of electrified vehicles (EVs). There are 2 million EVs on the road today. This number is expected to increase exponentially in the coming years.
Powering this transportation revolution is the lithium ion rechargeable battery. Umicore offers a wide portfolio of cathode materials for battery makers. To meet surging demand Umicore embarked on a three-year, €160 million expansion programme at its sites in Cheonan (South Korea) and Jiangmen (China). Existing plants will be enlarged and new factories will rise from greenfield sites. The goal is to triple production by the end of 2018.
Coping with this growth requires the newest and best-performing materials combined with a unique ability to scale up production. Attracting talented employees will be another consideration. A major recruitment programme is underway to ensure Umicore is successful in attracting the right people to make the expansion a success.
The clean mobility transformation – occurring at such a great speed and scale – is unprecedented. This can be daunting. For our people it is an exciting opportunity.
- Formula E
- Gasoline particulate filters
- Energy storage at Umicore’s Olen site
- Umicore travel and fleet policy
- Cultivating young talent
- Stationary Catalysis
- Sustainable battery materials supply chain
- Umicore Capital Market Days in Seoul, Korea
- Umicore Argentina closed the loop for cooling water
- Employee Engagement
- Closing the loop for cobalt in consumer devices’ batteries
- Umicore Hoboken integrates refugees into the workforce
- Introducing the Umicore Awards
- Innovation for a sustainable future
- Bringing the world of sustainable technologies to students
- Growing for clean mobility
- Improving gender diversity in senior management
- Powering towards a future in electric Vehicles
- Smooth integration of Haldor Topsoe’s DeNOx technology
- Environment as a catalyst for improvement
- JUMPing across borders
- Expanding to meet the clean mobility challenge
- Ensuring sustainable cobalt sourcing
- Pushing for progress on safety
- New automotive catalyst plant to enable cleaner air
- Olen: Charging for the Future
- Collaborating on new metal recovery processes